Thanks

Awards Showcase

Default Alpha- How is it?

Want to try the game out - but not really sure about paying to get into the Alpha.

So just wanted to see what people's impressions are so far.

Thanks

Awards Showcase

Default Re: Alpha- How is it?

Buggy as all hell, but that's to be expected in alpha. They're starting to get some issues worked out and its becoming more playable with each day. For the stretches that I've been able to play, I've absolutely loved it. It feels like the MMOs of old. No instant gratification. It takes some effort to gather enough resources and build something really neat which is very satisfying. The possibilities of what you can do seem endless. The potential for this game is immense.

If you do jump in, just be prepared for constant wipes of what you make. It's frustrating, but I'm just taking the time to learn the tools, which are really quite nice (especially for this stage of development). I have no minecraft or design experience and I've been able to pick it up. The devs have been very responsive to issues. The lifting of NDA in Alpha is unprecedented. This is nothing like the SOE of swg days.

My first claim was a mountain top. I flattened out part of it then began carving out a cave system that went down into the mountain and then out the other side. I built stairs and made a pretty nice palace room. My most recent claim I built a treehouse fort in the middle of a jungle. Both have since vanished due to wipes/bugs, but I log in every day and do a little building. Once beta comes around I should be skilled enough with the tools to build something really epic!

Lastly, it's addictive (like crack with crack flavored crack sprinkles on it). Last Saturday I started at about 11pm. I looked up and it was 5am. Holy shit. It's making me forget the other games I play.

All I get to see is about building and material things. How is combat and such? I am looking forward to grinding epics, wiping in crushbone, dying 24/7 because we didn't clear out all the mobs in CT

Thanks

Awards Showcase

Quote Originally Posted by Deliverus_Gamora View Post
    All I get to see is about building and material things. How is combat and such? I am looking forward to grinding epics, wiping in crushbone, dying 24/7 because we didn't clear out all the mobs in CT
    For now it's just a building game. Combat will be added later. They've even spoken about allowing players to add mobs and dungeon encounters. The ability to make your own mmo may be a possibility down the road.

EQ Next is a separate game that will go into alpha later this year. It's more combat oriented though it does have some unique aspects. Many people confuse EQ Next Landmark and EQ Next. They're two completely different games.
    Last edited by Nith; 02-06-2014 at 05:44 PM.

Thanks

Awards Showcase

Quote Originally Posted by Nith View Post
    EQ Next is a separate game that will go into alpha later this year. It's more combat oriented though it does have some unique aspects. Many people confuse EQ Next Landmark and EQ Next. They're two completely different games.
    This must be me - I thought it was NEXT that was in Alpha, hence, the posting in the Next forum. I'm not sure I have an interest in building things. Thanks for the update though!

Blog Entries
    Thanks

Awards Showcase

Landmark is essentially the engine demo for Next. From what people are saying, it looks very promising.
    Steam: Bigcedric --- XBL: Bigcedric --- PSN: Bigcedric88

Thanks

Awards Showcase

I love crafting in MMO's and have never been much of a builder...but I am shocked at how much fun it is building my house. For alpha, the game is fun...needs a lot of work, but that is why we are in alpha

Thanks

gotta add here for anyone thinking about buying into alpha, be prepared. i am currently unable to play as much as i like due to Overtime at work coinciding with alpha (sometimes i think the company does it on purpose!). but the amount of things you can build are astounding... i am currently trying to build trees and other garden objects to sell to the underground builders, trees and shrubs made from minerals and metals.

Thanks

Awards Showcase

Quote Originally Posted by Gawd View Post
    gotta add here for anyone thinking about buying into alpha, be prepared. i am currently unable to play as much as i like due to Overtime at work coinciding with alpha (sometimes i think the company does it on purpose!). but the amount of things you can build are astounding... i am currently trying to build trees and other garden objects to sell to the underground builders, trees and shrubs made from minerals and metals.
    Be prepared for what?

Blog Entries
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,992 Times in 977 Posts

Awards Showcase

It's alpha. It can be rough/buggy
    - RJO, Officer of AKS
    Blog - Twitter - Facebook - Last.fm - Flickr

Taas Taru, White Mage (FFXIV)
    Currently Playing: FIFA16, Life

Proud member of the lala master race