Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Blog Entries
    Thanks

Awards Showcase

Default Re: EA restructuring Mythic and BioWare into RPG/MMO group

Quote Originally Posted by Arrqh View Post
    I think it's really more of a top-level organizational thing then anything else. So I doubt there'll be any significant cross pollination... well no more then before anyway. Look at me using big words!
    Hard to say at this point, but dropping Jacobs (who let's face it was the heart and soul of Mythic) and putting a BioWare co-founder at the helm of the studio feels like a pretty dramatic vision change to me
    Standing in fire keeps you warm; it doesn't mean you are bad, it means you are cozy.

Thanks

Awards Showcase

Well as long as the release of their new MMO(s) isn't too affected by the (possible) pole shift in 2012, t should do rather well.

note my ____________. Indeed.

Quote Originally Posted by Okaria View Post
    Hard to say at this point, but dropping Jacobs (who let's face it was the heart and soul of Mythic) and putting a BioWare co-founder at the helm of the studio feels like a pretty dramatic vision change to me
    On a top level maybe, but on a normal day to day level Mythic, Bioware Austin, Edmonton and Montreal are still running exactly as they were before. The only real difference is instead of Bioware and Mythic both reporting directly to EAGL, the two are now both reporting to Ray who in turn is reporting to EAGL. Someone from Mythic also said this today:

"We're still Mythic Entertainment, an Electronic Arts Studio, as we have been. I've posted this elsewhere, but we're not 'merging.' We are still a completely separate entity within EA, just as Bioware is, simply now grouped under the same MMO/RPG grouping and reporting to one person, collectively."
    Granted, I'm sure dropping Jacobs will change things a bit at Mythic... but it's not like Mythic is going to be working on TOR now or anything. BWA and Mythic are as separate as they always were (which is to say, two separate studios owned by EA).

Thanks

Awards Showcase

From what I've read, it actually seems like Jacobs left on his own. He was on sabbatical for over a month and then they reported that he wasn't returning.

Either way, I'm excited about the new reorganization. I'm hoping it will be what TOR needs to make it a great game.

Blog Entries
    Thanks

Awards Showcase

Quote Originally Posted by Arrqh View Post
    On a top level maybe, but on a normal day to day level Mythic, Bioware Austin, Edmonton and Montreal are still running exactly as they were before. The only real difference is instead of Bioware and Mythic both reporting directly to EAGL, the two are now both reporting to Ray who in turn is reporting to EAGL. Someone from Mythic also said this today:

Granted, I'm sure dropping Jacobs will change things a bit at Mythic... but it's not like Mythic is going to be working on TOR now or anything. BWA and Mythic are as separate as they always were (which is to say, two separate studios owned by EA).
    I don't believe I ever implied they were merging studios, and I'm well aware that Jacobs didn't call all the shots for Mythic since EA purchased them, I think that goes pretty much without saying. That doesn't change the fact that Jacobs cofounded the studio, and was it's creative leader for much of that time. Putting a Bioware exec in his place will obviously have a change on how Mythic does things, regardless of who the studio reports to. That was the point of EA doing it in the first place.
    Last edited by Okaria; 06-26-2009 at 11:37 AM.
    Standing in fire keeps you warm; it doesn't mean you are bad, it means you are cozy.

Thanks

Awards Showcase

Hey, maybe Mythic can help Bioware license the WAR's game engine! *facepalm*
    "You are what you love, not what loves you."

Quote Originally Posted by Okaria View Post

Seems like EA wasn't too happy with the way Mythic has been handling things, not surprising considering the expectations for warhammer and the actual outcome.
    I just hope Bioware doesn't get screwed by this. I personally love all of Bioware's games, can't say I have any love for Mythic.

Blog Entries
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,992 Times in 977 Posts

Awards Showcase

Quote Originally Posted by Baldur View Post
    Seems like EA wasn't too happy with the way Mythic has been handling things, not surprising considering the expectations for warhammer and the actual outcome.
    I just hope Bioware doesn't get screwed by this. I personally love all of Bioware's games, can't say I have any love for Mythic.
    EA's problems with WAR's outcome are more about EA's expectations in the online space than any actual short comings.

They just expect way too much. 250-500k is the natural AAA MMO sub rate - they need to budget and build teams around that level of revenue.
    - RJO, Officer of AKS
    Blog - Twitter - Facebook - Last.fm - Flickr

Taas Taru, White Mage (FFXIV)
    Currently Playing: FIFA16, Life

Proud member of the lala master race

hardcore

Thanks

Awards Showcase

With 250k subscribers, you're looking at over $40 million in raw revenue. Yes there are substantial overhead costs, but WAR ought to be a money maker for EA in the long run unless they are woefully wasteful with their resources (entirely possible).
    "You are what you love, not what loves you."

Blog Entries
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,992 Times in 977 Posts

Awards Showcase

Quote Originally Posted by noptov52 View Post
    With 250k subscribers, you're looking at over $40 million in raw revenue. Yes there are substantial overhead costs, but WAR ought to be a money maker for EA in the long run unless they are woefully wasteful with their resources (entirely possible).
    I know for a fact UO is still profitable with ~60-80k subs.

You don't need much to make money in this game
    - RJO, Officer of AKS
    Blog - Twitter - Facebook - Last.fm - Flickr

Taas Taru, White Mage (FFXIV)
    Currently Playing: FIFA16, Life

Proud member of the lala master race

hardcore