Blog Entries
    Thanks

Awards Showcase

Default Major embezzlement in EVE's largest player-run bank

Massively reports that EVE Online's largest player-operated bank EBANK has suffered a major financial blow due to an embezzlement scheme by it's former CEO, one Ricdic.

Ricdic reportedly walked away with something in the area of 200 billion ISK, close to 9% of the 2.3 trillion ISK that player's deposited with the bank. Converted to real currency, this ends up being somewhere in the area of $4,000,000 USD. No laughing matter, to say the least. EBANK's chairman has issued a statement on the game's forums, stating that CCP has banned Ricidc for RMT. One can only hope they acted quickly enough to stop him from profiting from this.
    Last edited by Okaria; 06-11-2009 at 01:17 AM.
    Standing in fire keeps you warm; it doesn't mean you are bad, it means you are cozy.

Thanks

Awards Showcase

Default Re: Major embezzlement in EVE's largest player-run bank

LOL! This is actually quite amusing. EVE is a game in which smuggling and stealing from corps. banks are actually permitted. Obviously, turning it into real money would be a violation of the TOS agreement, and this why that player was banned. It's fun to see that these insane, underhanded bank schemes are still going on in that game. I think it was a large part of the appeal of EVE. You could join a corporation, rise up through the ranks, then wipe out half the bank, and split off to some other corp. "Corporate Spy." Fun times!

Blog Entries
    Thanks

Awards Showcase

Eh. I find it so disappointing that such a beautifully built game engine is wasted on this sort of nonsense.
    Standing in fire keeps you warm; it doesn't mean you are bad, it means you are cozy.

Thanks

Awards Showcase

Quote Originally Posted by Okaria View Post
    Eh. I find it so disappointing that such a beautifully built game engine is wasted on this sort of nonsense.
    I see your point, but I also think it makes the game a little more realistic. You gotta be careful who you trust - that sort of thing. Anyways, this particular incident was unfortunate but I do like that it's a part of the game.
    I'm sure lots of others will have differing views and opinions on this of course. The entire game is based around a huge player run economy, and just like irl it IS possible to rob a bank. But there will surely be major consequences. You will be hunted to the ends of the universe and spam-killed over and over unless you have a new corp. to back you up.

Guild Member
    Thanks

Awards Showcase

I find it amusing that with just adding a couple letters, Ricdic becomes RichDick.